This checklist is designed to be a simple list of titles to collect if you like DC's Elseworlds. This is not an official list. This is an unauthorized fan website. Please visit the official DC Comics Website.
Updated with the February 2003 Previews
"In Elseworlds, heroes are taken from their usual settings and put into strange times and places--some that have existed, and others that can't, couldn't, or shouldn't exist. The result is stories that make characters who are as familiar as yesterday seem as fresh as tomorrow."
[1994 Annuals] ---
[Shipping List] ---
[Other Imaginary Stories] ---
[Just Imagine] ---
[1996 Annuals] ---
Official DC Elseworlds Message Board
- Batman & Dracula: Red Rain (1991) (HC or SC)
- Batman/Captain America (1996)
- Batman/Demon: A Tragedy (Feb 2000)
- Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop (1993)
- Batman/Lobo (Apr 2000)
- Batman: Bloodstorm (1994) (Sequel to Batman & Dracula: Red Rain) (HC or SC)
- Batman: The Blue, the Grey, and the Bat (1992)
- Batman: Book of the Dead 1-2 (Apr-May 1999)
- Batman: Brotherhood of the Bat (1995)
- Batman: Knightgallery (1995) (Companion to Brotherhood of the Bat)
- Batman: Castle of the Bat (1994)
- The Batman Chronicles #11 (1998) (Special Elseworlds Issue)
"Berlin Batman"; "The Bride of Leatherwing"; "Curse of the Cat-Woman"
- Batman: Crimson Mist (Nov 1998) (Sequel to Batman: Bloodstorm) (HC or SC)
- Batman: Dark Allegiances (1996)
- Batman: Dark Joker - the Wild (1993) (HC or SC)
- Batman: Dark Knight Dynasty (1997) (HC or SC)
- Batman: Dark Knight of the Round Table 1-2 (Oct-Nov 1998)
- Batman: Detective No. 27 (Nov 2003)
- Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham 1-3 (Sep-Nov 2000)
- Batman: The Golden Streets of Gotham (Jan 2003)
- Batman: Gotham Noir (Mar 2001)
- Batman: Haunted Gotham 1-4 (Dec 1999-Mar 2000)
- Batman: Hollywood Knight 1-3 (Feb-Apr 2001)
- Batman: Holy Terror (1991)
- Batman: I, Joker (Aug 1998)
- Batman: In Darkest Knight (1994)
- Batman: League of Batmen 1-2 (Apr-May 2001) (Sequel to Batman: Brotherhood of the Bat)
- Batman: Manbat 1-3 (Oct-Dec 1995) (also collected)
- Batman: Masque (1997)
- Batman: Master of the Future (1991) (Sequel to Gotham by Gaslight)
- Batman: Nevermore 1-5 (Apr-Aug 2003)
- Batman: Nine Lives (Mar 2002) (HC, SC Jun 2003)
- Batman: Nosferatu (Mar 1999) (Sequel to Superman's Metropolis)
- The Batman of Arkham (Jun 2000)
- Batman: Reign of Terror (Dec 1998)
- Batman: Scar of the Bat (1996)
- Batman: Two Faces (Sep 1998)
- Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham 1-2 (Aug-Sep 1999)
- Conjurors 1-3 (Feb-Apr 1999)
- Daredevil/Batman: Eye for an Eye (1997 - Marvel)
- Doom Link (1995) (Superman and Batman, only available with action figures)
- Elseworld's Finest 1-2 (1997)
- Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl (Sep 1998)
- Elseworlds 80-Page Giant 1 (Jun 1999)*
- Flashpoint 1-3 (Oct-Dec 1999)
- The Golden Age 1-4 (1993) (also collected)
- Gotham by Gaslight (1989)
The first Elseworlds, only book on this list not marked as Elseworlds.
- Green Lantern: 1001 Emerald Nights (Mar 2001)
- Green Lantern: Evil's Might 1-3 (Aug-Oct 2002)
- JLA: Act of God 1-3 (Nov 2000-Jan 2001)
- JLA: Age of Wonder 1-2 (Apr-May 2003)
- JLA: Created Equal 1-2 (Jan-Feb 2000)
- JLA: Destiny 1-4 (Jun-Sep 2002)
- JLA: The Island of Dr. Moreau (Aug 2002)
- JLA: The Nail 1-3 (Jun-Aug 1998) (also collected)
- JLA: Riddle of the Beast (Dec 2001) (HC, SC Feb 2003)
- JLA: Secret Society of Super-Heroes 1-2 (Sep-Oct 2000)
- JLA: Shogun of Steel (Feb 2002)
- JSA: The Liberty File 1-2 (Dec 1999-Jan 2000)
- JSA: The Unholy Three 1-2 (Feb-Mar 2003) (Sequel to The Liberty File)
- Justice Riders (1997)
- Kamandi: At Earth's End 1-6 (Jun-Nov 1993)
- Kingdom Come 1-4 (1996) (also collected, with additional material, HC or SC)
- Kingdom Come related non-Elseworlds books: New Year's Evil: Gog #1 (Feb 1998), The Kingdom #1, Nightstar, Son of the Bat, Offspring, Kid Flash, Planet Krypton, The Kingdom #2 (all Dec 1998)
- League of Justice 1-2 (1996)
- Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta (Sep 2002)
- Robin: 3000 1-2 (1992)
- Son of Superman (Nov 1999) (HC, SC Mar 2000)
- Superboy's Legion 1-2 (Feb-Mar 2001)
- Supergirl: Wings (Oct 2001)
- Superman: A Nation Divided (Dec 1998)
- Superman: At Earth's End (1995) (Sequel to Kamandi: At Earth's End)
- Superman/Batman Alternate Histories (1996) (collection of stories from 1994 annuals)
"Leatherwing"; "Legacy"; "Crucible of Freedom"; "Citizen Wayne"
- Superman & Batman: Generations 1-4 (Nov 1998 - Feb 1999) (also collected Mar 2000)
- Superman & Batman: Generations II 1-4 (Aug-Nov 2001) (also collected Aug 2003)
- Superman & Batman: Generations III 1-12 (Jan-Dec 2003)
- Superman & Batman: World's Funnest (Nov 2000)
- Superman: Blood of My Ancestors (Sep 2003)
- Superman: The Dark Side 1-3 (Aug-Oct 1998) (also collected)
- Superman: Distant Fires (1998)
- Superman, Inc. (Nov 1999)
- Superman: Kal (1995)
- Superman: Last Son of Earth 1-2 (Jul-Aug 2000)
- Superman: Last Stand on Krypton (Jan 2003) (Sequel to Superman: Last Son of Earth)
- Superman: Red Son 1-3 (Apr-Jun 2003) (collected Jan 2004)
- Superman: Speeding Bullets (1993)
- Superman's Metropolis (1996)
- Superman/Tarzan: Sons of the Jungle 1-3 (Oct-Dec 2001 - Dark Horse)
- Superman: War of the Worlds (Oct 1998)
- Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy 1-4 (1997)
- The Superman Monster (Oct 1999) (Loose Sequel to Batman: Two Faces)
- Thrillkiller 1-3 (Jan-Mar 1997) (also collected)
- Thrillkiller '62 (1998) (also collected in Thrillkiller TPB)
- Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone (1997)
- Wonder Woman: Amazonia (1997) (oversized)
- Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon (Sep 2003) (Sequel to Batman: Nosferatu)
* The Elseworlds 80-Page Giant was pulled from the schedule due to a story not suitable for children, and is currently not available in North America. Copies were distributed outside North America. DC has officially cancelled the book. One story was reprinted in the Bizarro Comics Hardcover in June 2001.
NOTE: Kingdom Come #1 is also available in a Millennium reprint edition (Jun 2000).
NOTE: A Batman Vampire statue, based on the Elseworlds Batman from Red Rain, Bloodstorm, and Crimson Mist, was available in October 2000.
NOTE: Months given are the shipping months, and may not match cover/indica dates exactly.
NOTE: See the Shipping List for recent/upcoming Elseworlds.
Elseworlds Annuals 1994
All regular DCU 1994 Annuals had an Elseworlds theme. This is a list of those books, and the title(s) of the stories.
- Action Comics Annual #6 "Legacy" (reprinted in Alternate Histories)
- Adventures of Superman Annual #6 "The Super Seven Part I: The Longest Night"
- Batman Annual #18 "Black Masterpiece"
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Annual #4 "Citizen Wayne" (reprinted in Alternate Histories)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #2 "The Tyrant"
- Catwoman Annual #1 "The Last Man"
- Deathstroke, the Terminator Annual #3 "Journey's End"
- Detective Comics: Batman Annual #7 "Leatherwing" (reprinted in Alternate Histories)
- Flash Annual #7 "The Barry Allen Story"
- Green Lantern Annual #3 "Ring of Evil"
- Justice League America Annual #8 "The Once and Future League"
- Justice League International Annual #5 "No Rules to Follow"
- L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 Annual #5 "The Man From L.E.G.I.O.N. 007", "L.E.G.I.O.N. Archives", "L.E.G.I.O.N. 90210", "LEGION by Gaslight", "WomanMan with Girl the Boy Wonder", "Elseworlds Rejects"
- Legionnaires Annual #1 "Castles in the Air"
- Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #5 "The Long Road Home"
- Lobo Annual #2 "A Fistful of Bastiches"
- New Titans Annual #10 "Facets"
- Robin Annual #3 "The Narrow Path"
- Steel Annual #1 "Crucible of Freedom" (reprinted in Alternate Histories)
- Superboy Annual #1 "The Super Seven: Part II The Men of Steel"
- Superman Annual #6 "The Feral Man of Steel"
- Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #3 "Unforgiven"
- Team Titans Annual # 2 "Into the Light"
Essential Imaginary Stories
These are the Imaginary Stories that best reflect the Elseworlds style, and are essential if you want to have a complete collection of Elseworlds.
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 1-4 (also collected) (1986)
- Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (first printed in Superman #423 and Action Comics #583) (1986)
- Watchmen 1-12 (also collected) (1986-87)
- The Batman Chronicles #21 (May 2000) (Solicited as Elseworlds, but has no logo)
- Bizarro Comics HC (Jun 2001, SC Mar 2003) (featured story from Elseworld's 80-Page Giant)
When the next few Elseworlds are due to ship, according to Diamond's Previews Magazine.
- The Teen Titans Swingin' Elseworlds Special is postponed/cancelled
- Batman: Detective No. 27 is due out 19 Nov 2003
- Superman & Batman: Generations III #11 is due out 12 Nov 2003
- JLA/Avengers #3 is due out 26 Nov 2003 (Marvel)
- Superman & Batman: Generations III #12 is due out 10 Dec 2003
- Avengers/JLA #4 is due out 31 Dec 2003 (DC)
- Superman: Red Son TPB is due out 7 Jan 2003
Shipping This Week - Diamond's Official List
Official DC Elseworlds Message Board
Aug 10th 2003: News from WizardWorld Chicago says that Batman: Detective 27 is a planned Elseworlds featuring writer Michael Uslan with pencils by Peter Snejberg. Editor Mike Carlin also noted that DC has scaled back the production of Elseworlds in order to "put the luster back on them."
Aug 9th 2003: Superman: True Brit, written by Kim Stanley Johnson and John Cleese is apparently getting artwork from none other than John Byrne, who also happens to want to continue his Generations series with another installment: Generations 4.
Aug 9th 2003: The new Teen Titans Elseworld has been officially postponed by DC, though artist Jay Stephens says that it's been cancelled. Until we know for sure, the book is being removed from the list. We suggest writing to DC to let your displeasure at the cancellation be known.
Jul 21st 2003: After Alan Davis finishes JLA: Another Nail, rumor has it that he will be doing a sequel to Superboy's Legion.
Jul 17th 2003: First reports coming in from the San Diego Comic-Con include two new Elseworlds. Superman: The Kansas Sighting is a two-issue Elseworlds mini-series scheduled for next year. Batman: London by Night is scheduled for January.
Rumors abound about the John Cleese Superman Elseworlds "True Brit". Yes, he has signed up to do it, no, we don't know much else. Sounds fun, though. Read The Pulse's Coverage of the story or Newsarama's Coverage here.
Official DC Elseworlds Message Board
The Unofficial Elseworlds Home Page
Who's Who in Amalgam
Other Imaginary Stories
I doubt I could find every imaginary story and list them, but these are some of the more recent and notable ones to come along that don't quite fit on the "essential" list.
- Batman: Digital Justice (1990)
- Superman: The Animated Series: "Brave New Metropolis" (1997 animated TV episode)
- Batman Beyond (1999 animated TV series and comic book adaptation)
- Green Lantern: Dragon Lord 1-3 (Apr-Jun 2001) (reads like an Elseworld, but isn't)
- Smallville (premiered Oct 2001) (Alternate history of Superman)
- The Dark Knight Strikes Again 1-3 (Dec 2001 - Feb 2002)
- Smallville: The Comic (Oct 2002)
- Smallville Comic (ongoing bimonthly starting Mar 2003)
Definitely a project worthy of this page, no?
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Joe Kubert Creating Batman (Jul 2001)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Jim Lee Creating Wonder Woman (Aug 2001)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with John Buscema Creating Superman (Sep 2001)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Dave Gibbons Creating Green Lantern (Oct 2001)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Kevin Maguire Creating The Flash (Nov 2001)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Jerry Ordway Creating the JLA (Dec 2001)
- Just Imagine Stan Lee... Secret Files (Jan 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with John Byrne Creating Robin (Feb 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Gary Frank Creating Shazam! (Mar 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Scott McDaniel Creating Aquaman (Apr 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Chris Bachalo Creating Catwoman (May 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with Walter Simonson Creating Sandman (Jun 2002)
- Just Imagine... Stan Lee with John Cassaday Creating Crisis (Jul 2002)
- Realworlds: Batman (Mar 2000)
- Realworlds: Wonder Woman (Apr 2000)
- Realworlds: JLA (May 2000)
- Realworlds: Superman (Jun 2000)
Legends of the Dead Earth Annuals 1996
These annuals are not Elseworlds, but due to the theme, many ended up reading like one. Some were more successful at it than others. Internet comic fans seem to agree that this crop of annuals turned up more stinkers than usual.
Consider yourself warned.
- Action Comics Annual #8 "A World of Hurt"
- Adventures of Superman Annual #8 "Superman Forever"
- Aquaman Annual #2 No Title
- Azrael Annual #2
- Batman Annual #20
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #4
- Detective Comics Annual #9
- Flash Annual #9 "Silent Running"
- Green Lantern Annual #5
- Guy Gardner Warrior Annual #2 "Hypersensitive", "[2nd story?]", "[3rd story?]"
- Impulse Annual #1 "Speed Force!"
- Justice League America Annual #10 "The Alliance" (tie-in with The Ray 26-27[?])
- Legends of the Dark Knight #6
- Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #7
- Legionnaires Annual #3
- New Titans (?)
- Power of Shazam Annual #1 "True Believers"
- Robin Annual #5
- Sovreign Seven Annual #2 "Memento Mori"
- Starman Annual #1
- Superboy Annual #3 "Fathers and Suns"
- Supergirl Annual #1 "Surrogate", "The Legend Lives On", "Shootout at Ice Flats"
- Superman Annual #8
- Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #5 "The Never Ending Battle"
- Wonder Woman Annual #5 "The Unremembered"
Tangent is a shared universe in which things happened differently than in our own or in the DC Universes. Most stories read ok on their own, but are taken better as a whole. Again, these are not technically Elseworlds, but the effect for fans like me is the same.
- 1997 Tangents
- The Atom
- Doom Patrol
- Green Lantern
- The Joker
- Metal Men
- Secret Six
- Sea Devils
- 1998 Tangents (July 1998)
- Green Lantern
- Power Girl
- Wonder Woman
The big DC vs Marvel crossover resulted in some stories that have enough of an Elseworld feel to include them in this list. Individual issues can be read and understood without too much difficulty.
- DC vs Marvel 1-3
- Bruce Wayne: Agent of SHIELD
- Bullets and Bracelets
- Doctor Strangefate
- Legends of the Dark Claw
- Magneto and the Magnetic Men
- Speed Demon
- DC vs Marvel 4
- DC/Marvel: All Access 1-4 (1996 - DC)
- Challengers of the Fantastic
- The Dark Claw Adventures
- The Exciting X-Patrol
- Generation Hex
- Iron Lantern
- JLX Unleashed
- Lobo the Duck
- Magnetic Men Featuring Magneto
- Spider-Boy Team-Up
- Super Soldier: Man of War
- Thorion of the New Asgods
- DC/Marvel: Unlimited Access 1-4 (1997 - Marvel)
For more information see
Who's Who in Amalgam
Naturally not in continuity (for the most part), these stories don't really fit anywhere. So I'm listing as many as I know about here. Crossovers are a mixed bag, I personally don't pick them up unless characters I like are involved. WARNING: This list is not complete!
- Azrael/Ash (1997 - DC)
- Batman/Aliens 1-2 (1997 - DC) (also collected)
- Batman/Aliens II 103 (Dec 2002-Feb 2003)
- Batman/Captain America (1996 - DC) Officially marked as Elseworld
- Batman/Daredevil: King of New York (Nov 1999 - DC)
- Batman/Grendel: Devil's Riddle, Devil's Masque (1993 - DC)
- Batman/Grendel II: Devil's Bones, Devils Dance (1996 - DC)
- Batman/Hellboy/Starman 1-2 (1999 - DC)
- Batman vs. the Incredible Hulk (1977 - DC)
- Batman/Judge Dredd: Die Laughing 1-2 (Oct 1998 - DC)
- Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham (1991 - DC)
- Batman/Judge Dredd: Vendetta in Gotham (1993 - DC)
- Batman/Judge Dredd: The Ultimate Riddle (1995 - DC)
- Batman/Tarzan: Claws of the Cat-Woman 1-4 (Sep-Dec 1999 - Dark Horse) (also collected)
- Batman versus Predator 1-3 (1993 - DC) (also collected)
- Batman versus Predator II: Bloodmatch 1-4 (1994 - DC) (also collected)
- Batman versus Predator III: Blood Ties 1-4 (1997 - DC) (also collected)
- Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire (1994 - DC)
- Batman/Spawn: War Devil (1994 - DC)
- Batman & Spider-Man: New Age Dawning</b> (1997 - DC)
- Catwoman/Vampirella: The Furies (1997 - DC)
- Daredevil/Batman: Eye for an Eye (1997 - Marvel) Officially marked as Elseworld
- The Darkness/Batman (1999 - Image)
- Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger (1995 - DC)
- Ghost/Batgirl 1-4 (2000 - Dark Horse)
- Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances (1995 - DC)
- Green Lantern vs Aliens 1-4 (2000 - Dark Horse)
- Incredible Hulk vs. Superman: Double Lives (1999 - Marvel)
- JLA/Avengers 1-4 (Sep-Dec 2003)
- JLA/WildC.a.t.s.: Crime Machine (1997 - DC)
- JLA/Witchblade (2000 - DC)
- Joker/Mask 1-4 (2000 - Dark Horse)
- Lobo/Judge Dredd: Psycho-Bikers vs. The Mutants from Hell (1995 - DC)
- Lobo/Mask 1-2 (1996 - DC)
- Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights (1994 - Marvel)
- Silver Surfer/Superman: Pop! (1996 - Marvel)
- Spawn/Batman: Red Scare (1994 - Image)
- Spider-Man and Batman: Disordered Minds (1995 - Marvel)
- Spyboy/Young Justice 1-3 (Feb 2002 - Dark Horse)
- Superman & Bugs Bunny 1-4 (2000 - DC)
- Superman & Savage Dragon: Metropolis (1999 - DC)
- Superman and Spider-Man (1977 - Marvel)
- Superman and the Masters of the Universe - "From Eternia with Death" (in DC Comics Presents # 47) (1982 - DC)
- Superman and the Masters of the Universe - "Fate is the Killer" (in Masters of the Universe Preview) (1982 - DC)
- Superman vs Aliens 1-3 (1995 - Dark Horse) (also collected)
- Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man (1977 - DC)
- Superman vs. Predator 1-3 (2000 - DC)
- Superman vs. The Terminator: Death to the Future 1-4 (1999/2000 - Dark Horse) (also collected)
- Superman/Fantastic Four: The Infinite Destruction (1999 - DC) (oversized)
- Superman/Gen13 1-3 (2000 - Wildstorm)
- The Superman/Madman: Hullabaloo! 1-3 (1997 - DC) (also collected)
- Superman/Tarzan: Sons of the Jungle (Oct-Dec 2001 - Dark Horse) Officially marked as Elseworld
- The Uncanny X-Men vs. The New Teen Titans (1977 - Marvel)
- Worlds Collide (1994 - DC/Milestone)
Elseworlds Logo and DC Bullet Logo © DC Comics
Batman, Superman, and related characters © DC Comics
This is a fan site. This site and its maintainer are in no way affiliated with DC Comics.
This site was maintained by Laura Gjovaag (email@example.com). The original list was based on Jeff Germann's work.
I (Richard Boom) found this list on the internet (HERE) and since I absolutely love Elseworld and WhatIf stories I decided to opy the information for my own pleasure!! Visit the owner's site cause she rocks!!